Our History

First Baptist Church Indian Trail was organized in April of 1951 with 29 founding members.  Four acres of land were purchased on Indian Trail-Fairview Road for $100 per acre.  The first buildings were two donated army barracks.  Rev. C.W. Boatwright was the founding pastor.  Other early pastors were Rev. Lloyd Walters and Rev. Melvin Helms.

In 1958, Rev. Earl Sossamon became pastor of the small church.  He served First Baptist faithfully as Pastor for 24 years.  Under his leadership, the church grew steadily and built buildings to accommodate the growth, including the auditorium that today is the Earl Sossamon Chapel.  When he retired in 1982, the church had grown to 446 members.

Rev. Michael T. Whitson became the new pastor of FBC Indian Trail on April 1, 1983.  During his tenure as pastor, the church has seen phenomenal growth.  Today, First Baptist is blessed to serve over 5000 members and is a vital part of this growing community.  Several building programs have taken place under Rev. Whitson’s leadership including the current worship center, which opened in 1993, and the Family Life Center and beautiful Preschool and Children's Building, which were completed in 2005.  A complete renovation and addition to the Worship Center was completed in 2012.

First Baptist began Metrolina Christian Academy in 1992 with the first graduating class completing their high school education in May of 2000.  Today, MCA serves over 1100 students.

East Campus of First Baptist was begun in Marshville in 1998.  First Baptist Church Indian Trail remains committed today to do whatever is necessary to reach our world for Christ.


Ministries Directions

732 Indian Trail-Fairview Road, NC 28079 - (704) 882-1005

directions

Copyright © 2011 FBCIT. All rights reserved.

poweredby

Follow Us